What tuition assistance can I get?

Richmond, VA |

I have become disabled a year after I have started a Graduate program. I was initially an out-of-state student. At my current condition, it is difficult for me to pay out-of-state tuition. Can I get in-state tuition anyhow? What kind of financial assistance I can get for disability?

1. You really need to discuss the matter in detail with the financial guidance counselor at your school, as you are asking a very fact specific question that can only be answered with a full analysis of your individual circumstances.

2. Start by reveiwing the Code of Virginia regarding in-state eligibility at at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+23-7.4

Next, see your school financial aid counselor.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

3. You claim to be disabled but at the same time you say want money to go to school. If you are under age 49 you will have to show for Social Security disability purposes that you cannot do "any" job in the national economy.

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.

Education law topics