What too say on a letter too a judge too drop an order or protection on my boyfriend?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Potsdam, NY

My boyfriend and I split up and i was seeing another guy and he my ex boyfriend busted down my door and they put an order of protection on us and I would like too get it dropped and drop all charges.

1. Maurice N Ross

Pro

3

Answered . You cannot assume that you can get the Court to drop charges against your ex boyfriend and the order of protection just because you want to do so. Judges and prosecutors are very reluctant to do anything that would put victims of domestic violence at risk. My suggestion is that you retain legal counsel to help advise you concerning this situation, and to prepare whatever papers need to be submitted to the Court.

2. Richard C. Southard

Pro

3

Answered . A letter is useless - you need to arrange with an attorney to appear in person so the judge can judge whether you are being threatened or coerced into asking to drop the OOP

3. Edward Jacob Sternisha

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with Attorney Ross. The process is not in your hands and Protection Orders are not toys to use whenever you want to. If there was serious enough reason to issue the order, the court is not going to be quick to drop it just becasue you want to get back with your boyfriend. They need to be concerned for your safety. It sounds like he is a violent guy so don't be too quick to let him back in. Furthermore, you cannot invite him back while the order is still in effect he can still get arrested.

4. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Answered . If you write a letter advising you want charges and/or order of protection dropped, judge may listen or may ignore. If you admit you like or did not tell truth in any papers you signed, you could face perjury or filing a false instrument. Your other choice is not to cooperate with the prosecution and the charges and order of protection will be dismissed.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo, LLP
    President, Criminal Courts Bar Association of Nassau County
    1103 Stewart Avenue, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    (O) 516-408-3666
    (F) 516-408-3833
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

Sent from my Verizon Blackberry

----- Original Message -----