What to include in divorce petition

In CA when submitting a divorce petition, I listed past due bills as debts owed, (on form FL-142 item #24) such as cable bill, cell phone, gas, electric etc. Is it necessary to include copies of the bills and/or an email from me to my husband asking for his portion of the bills to be paid showing that I have attempted to get him to help pay?

Santa Fe Springs, CA -

Find Out More

John Hamilton Kibbler

John Hamilton Kibbler

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Upland, CA

You do not need to attach copies of the bills to the Petition. However you attach a list that is as complete as possible of all your debts and assets. When you get to the point where you are preparing a declaration of disclosure and schedule of assets and debts, you are supposed to attach copies of the bills to the schedule, but people rarely do. Make sure you keep copies of all the bills; if your case goes to trial, you will need them to prove to the court the amount of each debt. Also, keep track of any bills you pay from your separate property (post-separation) income since you may be entitled to reimbursement.

Will be glad to help if you would like to contact me!