Skip to main content

What to fill up on my California DE4 Form?

Irvine, CA |

I am now in California and recently filling up a form for DE4 about the state tax. I am quite confuse since I came from Texas and the only form I did is the federal tax. On my federal, I claim "0", how about on the DE4 form?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Welcome to California where we have a personal income tax. Like you, I am also from Texas. Many new California residents simply claim the same number of allowances as federal on their DE-4 as the EDD's worksheet is confusing or burdensome. However, I would recommend that you actually fill out the worksheets to determine the proper number of allowances and estimate your deductions as you can easily be under withheld and thus subject to state tax penalties. Also remember that you can always revise the DE-4 to increase or decrease your withholding later.


If you want to be safe, "0" or "1" exemption (yourself) would be appropriate.

Hope this helps!

Law Offices of Phillip M. Smith Jr. Inc.
300 Corporate Pointe
Suite 320
Culver City, CA 90230
Off: 323-292-4116
Cell: 562-505-1004

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. The answer to question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. Mr. Smith is licensed to practice law throughout the state of California with offices in Los Angeles County. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States, and is also licensed to practice before the United States Tax Court. His phone number is 323-292-4116 or his email address is


As my fellow counselors have advised, you want to be sure that you avoid owing taxes at the end of the year. Thus, it would be a good idea to complete the DE-3 worksheet using the instructions provided and you should be fine if you claim only 0 or 1 exemptions. In some cases, it makes sense for an individual to claim multiple exemptions, such as if they have extraordinarily high medical expenses, or the like.

The answer to this question does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Moreover, this attorney is licensed to practiced law ONLY in the State of California. Answers to questions from users in other jurisdictions or states are meant to provide only general information. Users should contact a local attorney in their jurisdiction or state to address their specific tax issue.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer