What to expect with a DWI, Poss. of CS & Poss. Dangerous Drug with Priors??

Houston, TX |

My friend was arrested 2 days ago. She is being charged with a DWI (BAC= .08) Poss. cs PG4 over 400 grams & Poss. of a Dangerous drug... She has a $21,000 bail and at least 5 other PAST arrests for possession and theft (these are dismissed/completed). She has been on deferred adjudicated and completed it, But last year was on probation for a separate charge and they revoked it and she spent 45 days in jail.
What is the likely hood of her getting prison time? I realize the severity of these charges alone but would still like experienced advise.

Anybody's guess at this point. It depends on what all the stuff is on her record and how long ago it was. It depends on the facts of the new cases. It depends on which DA is assigned. It depends on whose court she's in. It depends on the work of her defense attorney. Etc, etc. Once an attorney starts working her case, he can give you the best idea of realistic possible outcomes.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

If there was not child under 15 yoa in the car or if your friend does not have at least two prior DWI convictions, then the DWI is a misdemeanor. Possession of a Dangerous Drug is also a misdemeanor, provided your friend was not charged with delivery of a dangerous drug. However, if the PCS charge is over 400 grams, then that is a first degree felony punishable by up to life in prison. The first thing that a good lawyer will do, will be to look at the circumstances of your friend's stop and detention by the by the police. The police officer must have reasonable suspicion of criminal activity to stop and detain your friend, and probable cause to arrest and search.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. "Not Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization"

She needs to hire a lawyer ASAP. Jail time is a possibility in any criminal case such as these. These difference is in hiring an attorney to defense you and protect your rights and liberty. My best advise is hire a criminal defense attorney now.

Notice: The information contained herein is intended as general legal information and does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not governed by confidentiality rules. This general legal information is not a substitute for seeking the direct advice of legal counsel.

Tough question at this point. Everything will depend upon the underlying facts for the most recent arrest. Yes, the former criminal history will make it more difficult to defend the case. However, those issues alone are not enough to throw in the towel. I recommend you contact a criminal defense attorney soon and start building a defense or negotiating the least harmful options.