What to expect in court for underage drinking citation?

Asked 3 months ago - Raleigh, NC

Hi, I recently received a citation that states "the officer has probable cause to believe that you did unlawfully and willfully consume an alcoholic beverage while being 20 years of age". (G.S. 18B-302(B)(3)). They approached me while I had a cup in my hand and I told them that their was alcohol in the cup but they did not breathalyze me. Do you think I could fight this? Also if not do you think I would be better off hiring a lawyer or just paying the court costs and whatever other costs there are? (I'm a college student so I'm looking for the cheapest option to get it off my record) Also this is my first offense! Thanks!

1. Christopher James Welch

Pro

2

Answered . It sounds like it would be a tough case to fight; the state would have to prove that you consumed alcohol while being underage but if you had an odor of alcohol from your breath and were holding a cup of booze then I don't know what your defense would be. In most jurisdictions the DA will work with a first-time defendant charged with something like this. You can either hire a lawyer or not. If you go with an attorney then they will likely go to court for you and be able to negotiate you a favorable deal which I would guess will result in the dismissal of the charges. If you prefer to handle it yourself then you will have to negotiate with the DA directly. Perhaps if you did this you might inquire if they would let you perform some community service in exchange for dropping the ticket? Regarding your costs, they would vary significantly depending on how your case is resolved. Sometimes the cost of the lawyer is balanced by the savings on court costs, so that is something to consider also. In the end my advice would be to at least consult with a local attorney--most offer free consultations so it costs you nothing to at least learn more about your options.

2. Adam M. Seifer

Pro

1

Answered . Hire a lawyer. You dont want a misdemeanor conviction on your record. Depending on the county's procedure for these types of tickets, a lawyer might be able to get a deal worked out that would involve no conviction.

3. David Landon White

Pro

Answered . Hire an attorney. The minimal expense now far outweighs the potential lost income from a criminal record. If you end up in the first offender program after hiring an attorney, the attorney will help ensure successful completion of the program.

As it is your first offense, you have several options and should be able to keep a clean record. Wake County defaults to the first offender program in which you can earn a dismissal. An attorney may be able to obtain a dismissal without using the first offender program, thus preserving the option for a future mistake should one happen.

Whatever you do, do not just plead guilty and pay costs and fines. It is a criminal charge.