Skip to main content

What to expect after a 2nd dui in colorado.

Fort Collins, CO |

I recieved a prior DUI charge in 2011 that ended up being deferred to a DWAI with no conviction because I completed probation. With an attorney of course. I now recieved a 2nd DUI charge . What can be expected of this ? Might I go to jail? I don't know what to expect because there was no conviction the first time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


A lot will depend on the facts of the case. Because you completed the deferred judgment, this new offense will be considered a first offense. You should hire an attorney. I'd recommend hiring the attorney who represented you in your prior case since they achieved such a good outcome for you.

Either way, you need to be prepared for some pretty severe consequences at both the DMV and in the criminal case.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.


Since your first charge ended in a deferred to a DWAI then the second charge should be treated as your first so long as you had completed your first deferred prior to getting charged with your second and the first one had been dismissed. Since you received such a great outcome with an attorney on your first charge, I would highly recommend using that attorney for your current charge.

Ann Toney, P.C. is a law firm in Denver, CO defending DUI, DUID, and marijuana drug charges.


The deal you received on your first offense is pretty standard in Fort Collins. You are likely looking at jail time on your second offense, but it depends on the facts. You should hire an attorney.

The Leier Law Office, LLC, 110 East Oak St. Ste. 220, Fort Collins, CO. Call 970-682-4581 for a free consultation. The answer above does not form an attorney client relationship and does not substitute for advice that can be obtained during an in depth initial consultation.


Colorado is trending toward treating DUIs as one strike and you are out. That being said, you are going to want an attorney with experience. I know the Leier Law Firm has the experience and is local to boot.


Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer