What to expect after a 2nd dui in colorado.

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Collins, CO

I recieved a prior DUI charge in 2011 that ended up being deferred to a DWAI with no conviction because I completed probation. With an attorney of course. I now recieved a 2nd DUI charge . What can be expected of this ? Might I go to jail? I don't know what to expect because there was no conviction the first time.

1. Rhidian David Watson Orr

3

Answered . A lot will depend on the facts of the case. Because you completed the deferred judgment, this new offense will be considered a first offense. You should hire an attorney. I'd recommend hiring the attorney who represented you in your prior case since they achieved such a good outcome for you.

Either way, you need to be prepared for some pretty severe consequences at both the DMV and in the criminal case.

2. Kent Joseph Leier

3

Answered . The deal you received on your first offense is pretty standard in Fort Collins. You are likely looking at jail time on your second offense, but it depends on the facts. You should hire an attorney.

3. Ann Toney

Pro

2

Answered . Since your first charge ended in a deferred to a DWAI then the second charge should be treated as your first so long as you had completed your first deferred prior to getting charged with your second and the first one had been dismissed. Since you received such a great outcome with an attorney on your first charge, I would highly recommend using that attorney for your current charge.

Ann Toney, P.C. is a law firm in Denver, CO defending DUI, DUID, and marijuana drug charges.
  4. Brandon Uriah Luna

Pro

1

Answered . Colorado is trending toward treating DUIs as one strike and you are out. That being said, you are going to want an attorney with experience. I know the Leier Law Firm has the experience and is local to boot.

Brandon