What to do with subrogation letter from auto company if I don't have active coverage

Dallas, TX |

I had a car accident few months ago and didn't have insurance at that time. It was in a parking lot someone hit me back to back. He claimed that it was completely my fault but I denied. Later on I got the subrogation letter from his insurance company saying it was my fault so I have to pay a certain amount but there is no any judgement been made and no investigation is taken on my side. Is there anything I can do to argue or clarify the situation? Can I ignore this letter? Which company should I deal with first - his insurance company or the company that filed the subrogation letter?

You should reply to this letter and give your statement of the facts.
If the company that sent you the letter has subrogation rights, you should deal with this company.

Attorney Advertising. The information given above is intended to provide general information only and not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

You need to provide you side of the story. You may need an attorney to help, if the amount claimed is serious.

Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-client relationship is formed with you. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction. Moore & Moore Attorneys at Law -- thelaw@mytrustedlawyer.com

You owe nothing unless they obtain a judgment against you. That said, you may well be sued, and it sounds like you will not have a liability insurer to provide you with defense counsel and to pay any judgment. Once the other insurance company has a judgment against you, they can make your life miserable. You may even find your driver's license suspended. You should retain a local attorney to first try to find alternative liability insurance, or otherwise try to negotiate a deal. Contacting the subrogating insurer or subrogation collections firm directly would be a mistake.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.