What to do with subrogation letter from auto company if I don't have active coverage

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

I had a car accident few months ago and didn't have insurance at that time. It was in a parking lot someone hit me back to back. He claimed that it was completely my fault but I denied. Later on I got the subrogation letter from his insurance company saying it was my fault so I have to pay a certain amount but there is no any judgement been made and no investigation is taken on my side. Is there anything I can do to argue or clarify the situation? Can I ignore this letter? Which company should I deal with first - his insurance company or the company that filed the subrogation letter?

1. John Gus Zgourides

4

Answered . You owe nothing unless they obtain a judgment against you. That said, you may well be sued, and it sounds like you will not have a liability insurer to provide you with defense counsel and to pay any judgment. Once the other insurance company has a judgment against you, they can make your life miserable. You may even find your driver's license suspended. You should retain a local attorney to first try to find alternative liability insurance, or otherwise try to negotiate a deal. Contacting the subrogating insurer or subrogation collections firm directly would be a mistake.

2. Massimo Paternoster

2

Answered . You should reply to this letter and give your statement of the facts.
    If the company that sent you the letter has subrogation rights, you should deal with this company.

3. Raphael Samuel Moore

2

Answered . You need to provide you side of the story. You may need an attorney to help, if the amount claimed is serious.