What to do with my lawyer who tried to charge me unreasonable fees?

Flushing, NY |

I applied for Asylum and had my first hearing, it was taken too much time because my lawyer asked too many questions at the court hearing last year so it wasn't finished. There will be a 2nd hearing at the end of April 2013 and yesterday she asked me more money for the hearing, she said because it will be another judge who will review the case and she needs to prepare the case again. The case has been prepared a year ago and why she asked for another $3,000, that's crazy cause she told me before I only need to pay everything once.
If I change my lawyer and that means my hearing will be delayed again, if I don't change my lawyer, I don't trust her anymore, she didn't prepare my case very well and keep asking for money. Please help.

If you fire your current attorney and hire another one that is your right but don't expect anyone to represent you for free. Ultimately the decision is yours, no one can make it for you. My firm handles asylum claims in NY.
    Regards,
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. Do you really expect your lawyer to fully remember all the facts of your case and all the relevent legal issues and legal research from a year ago? I am sure the lawyer has many other cases. What is more important to you, getting Asylum or saving some money? If the lawyer doesn't do prep work and you lose the hearing you will blame the attorney for not being prepared. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. You have been through such hearings before and you know how long it should take and what questions the lawyer should and should not ask?

You don't have to have a lawyer you know--if you could do it better......or you could hire a new attorney, one unfamiliar with your specifics at all. Not sure you have any other real options.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.