What to do with my lawyer who tried to charge me unreasonable fees?

Asked over 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

I applied for Asylum and had my first hearing, it was taken too much time because my lawyer asked too many questions at the court hearing last year so it wasn't finished. There will be a 2nd hearing at the end of April 2013 and yesterday she asked me more money for the hearing, she said because it will be another judge who will review the case and she needs to prepare the case again. The case has been prepared a year ago and why she asked for another $3,000, that's crazy cause she told me before I only need to pay everything once.
If I change my lawyer and that means my hearing will be delayed again, if I don't change my lawyer, I don't trust her anymore, she didn't prepare my case very well and keep asking for money. Please help.

1. Nicklaus James Misiti

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . If you fire your current attorney and hire another one that is your right but don't expect anyone to represent you for free. Ultimately the decision is yours, no one can make it for you. My firm handles asylum claims in NY.
    Regards,
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . Do you really expect your lawyer to fully remember all the facts of your case and all the relevent legal issues and legal research from a year ago? I am sure the lawyer has many other cases. What is more important to you, getting Asylum or saving some money? If the lawyer doesn't do prep work and you lose the hearing you will blame the attorney for not being prepared. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . You have been through such hearings before and you know how long it should take and what questions the lawyer should and should not ask?

You don't have to have a lawyer you know--if you could do it better......or you could hire a new attorney, one unfamiliar with your specifics at all. Not sure you have any other real options.