What to do when you accidentally scratch someones car and you're not on the insurance of the car you were driving?

Roswell, GA |

so I somehow managed to scratch someones car while making a right turn. It was such a small dent. I got a failure to maintain lane ticket and am so worried about it. I have a learners permit and was driving my dads car and he was their when it happened. I am 22. will I go to jail because I was driving someones car and not on their insurance? My dad is about to add me on his insurance now. But can i get my license suspended due to this?

No one got hurt.

1. Likely not. There may be some ramifications for your license but not jail. Ultimately you will have to pay for the damage. Best of luck

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

2. You will have to pay for the damage but based on those facts you will not be going to jail.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

3. You're going to have to pay for the damage. Additionally, you may get charged with no insurance, which could cause a license suspension, hefty fines (and although rare, possible jail). Whomever let you drive could also be charged with allowing you to drive without insurance and face the same penalties. Getting a lawyer now may minimize the problem, as will paying the damages.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

4. As a permissive, licensed driver, you will be covered by the insurance on the vehicle. In fact, so long as you have a valid drivers license and drive any vehicle with the permission of the owner, you will be insured under that vehicle's insurance policy. Therefore, the only consequences that will come of this will likely be the citation and any fine associated with it.
    The advantage of adding you to your father's insurance policy as a named insured, will be that in the event you're driving a vehicle not listed on the policy it will provide you with additional liability coverage if you cause another accident.

5. Report it to your dad's insurance company to resolve.