Skip to main content

What to do when there is a court order for hospital records to be released and the hospital refuses to do so?

Hot Springs National Park, AR |

The hospital where order by a court order to release medical records of what they were using to treat this particular patient. The hospital has giving the lawyers everything thing except for the treatment they were asking for. The hospital is refusing t cooperate with the court order. The lawyers had closed the case because of the hospital not cooperating. What further steps to take in order to get them to cooperate and follow a court order?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You will have to get other attorneys who are more aggressive.

My offices does represent people from Avvo if they contact me but only in the Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside County in Southern California. The answers I give here are not meant to create an attorney client relationship. When accepting clients I conduct interviews face to face and they often take 30 minutes or more. I approach trials and issues from a legal and common sense approach, This is how the majority of judges I have appeared before in 40 years also make decisions. I do not intend by my advice to enter an attorney client relationship and in most cases advise to obtain legal representation. Sometimes if you can not afford it a consultation or limited scope representation is available. As an experienced attorney I can tell you, judges can be impatient, hate emotional arguments and over exagerations or lies. A brief outline of the problems and desired solutions is often best and I d0 limited scope representations advise clients on how to proceed at time of hearing or trial and my fees are considerably less when I do not appear in court as it takes much less of my time.



Looking g other aggressive attorneys is what im going to do. Thank you so much.


Is there an action against the hospital? I agree with my colleague, you need an attorney who will press the matter and compel the hospital to release the records.

The author of this answer is an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of Arizona. Unless both you and the author have signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not the author's client, and the author's discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author, and are neither privileged nor confidential.



No there is no action against thw hospital.


If there is mental health or addiction treatment involved, the language of the order may not adequately deal with federal law. It is an easy fix.



No mental health or addiction treatment involved.


If indeed there is a court order to turn over the records, and the records have not been turned over, a motion to compel or possibly for contempt might be in order. The court that entered the order should be willing to enforce it.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer