Skip to main content

What to do when child has been dropped off to you

Camp Hill, PA |

I half joint custody and my ex just dropped off my 11yr old children at 6am at my door with their bags and said he don't want them anymore and to come see him when they get older. I do want them and my children father has been fighting me for 6 years for custody. what do I do so they stay with me.

Attorney Answers 4


Since it appears that he has voluntarily relinquised his custody periods with the child, you should have your attorney prepare a Consent Order as soon as possible confirming that you have primary physical custody of the child so that it can be presented to him for signature before he changes his mind. If he won't sign, you will need to file a Petition for modification of the existing order to confirm that fact that the child lives with you. Otherwise, if he later decides that he made a hasty decision, you must follow the existing order or you could be held in contempt.

My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute your attorney's advice.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


You should have your lawyer draft a custody stipulation for you both to sign tranferring custody to you. The stipulation can then be filed with the court and a judge will review it and enter a court order adopting the stipulation as a court order to replace the order currently in effect.

The above answer is intended solely for general informational purposes and does not create an attorney client relationship. You should consult with an experienced attorney regarding all of the details of your particular situation before taking action.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleagues that a Stipulation should be filed. A stipulation is just as binding as a court order, it must be followed and is enforceable. Contact an attorney to help you right away.

My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute your attorney's advice. Additionally, my response does not trigger an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It depends on if there's a current custody action or not. If so, hire an attorney to prepare a stipulation for him to sign. If he refuses to sign it I would file a Petition For Special Relief and ask the judge to enter a new order based upon the newest status quo. If no action pending, file a Modification immediately.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics