What to do when child has been dropped off to you

Asked about 1 year ago - Camp Hill, PA

I half joint custody and my ex just dropped off my 11yr old children at 6am at my door with their bags and said he don't want them anymore and to come see him when they get older. I do want them and my children father has been fighting me for 6 years for custody. what do I do so they stay with me.

1. Randi Joy Silverman

4

Best Answer

Answered . Since it appears that he has voluntarily relinquised his custody periods with the child, you should have your attorney prepare a Consent Order as soon as possible confirming that you have primary physical custody of the child so that it can be presented to him for signature before he changes his mind. If he won't sign, you will need to file a Petition for modification of the existing order to confirm that fact that the child lives with you. Otherwise, if he later decides that he made a hasty decision, you must follow the existing order or you could be held in contempt.

2. Jeanne B. Costopoulos

2

1

Answered . You should have your lawyer draft a custody stipulation for you both to sign tranferring custody to you. The stipulation can then be filed with the court and a judge will review it and enter a court order adopting the stipulation as a court order to replace the order currently in effect.

3. Diana Corinne Schimmel

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that a Stipulation should be filed. A stipulation is just as binding as a court order, it must be followed and is enforceable. Contact an attorney to help you right away.

4. Michelle Ericka Goldstein

Pro

1

Answered . It depends on if there's a current custody action or not. If so, hire an attorney to prepare a stipulation for him to sign. If he refuses to sign it I would file a Petition For Special Relief and ask the judge to enter a new order based upon the newest status quo. If no action pending, file a Modification immediately.