What to do or not do or say during an alleged sexual harassment investigation in the US Army.

Asked 10 months ago - Fort Benning, GA

Some one from my army unit informed my command that a 3rd party said a girl I know said i assaulted and sexual harass her. Well that woman twisted the story from what I heard, and i even heard the girl tell CID that i did not do that. Well the Army CID did not talk to me at all nor did my Command inform me I was under investigation. I heard through a friend that all this was occurring without my knowledge. a week later later my command call said i was being flagged for an ongoing command investigation for sexual harssment. What should I do or not say. Alll i know is the girl they said made the claim has flirted with me on occasions and have talked to me on facebook Why didnt CID question me. if CID closed there investigation why is my command doing another one? I never harass anyone

I know the girl and we have had alot of coversation in the past 2 to 3 weeks on facebook or text. I have never said anything sexual to her or ask her to have sex. Onlything she said to me that i was handsome and maybe ive said she was beautiful or ask her out to a movie or dinner. From the rumor I heard the girl just wanted me to stop contacting her and did not want to take this route. But the person that came forward from the facts from a third party twisted most of the story. So what should I do if i know i did not do anything wrong. Should I answer questions if someone ask. i am confused because why didnt CID talk to me and why is my command doing another investigation?

1. Marcus G. Keegan

Pro

5

Answered . I don't believe this question can be adequately addressed in this forum. My recommendation is that you consult with an attorney who understands military law to make sure your rights are protected.

2. Drew Norman Early

5

Answered . Get an experienced military law attorney immediately. Bill Cassara is here in GA and is well known for his expertise in military law matters.

3. Michael Shane Welsh

3

Answered . I agree with Mr. Rafter. What you should do? Get a lawyer experienced in working on CID investigations. What to say? Nothing until you hire an attorney to represent you. Period.

4. Kelvin P. Green

4

Answered . Get an attorney

5. Rixon Charles Rafter III

4

Answered . What to do?

See defense counsel at your legal service office ASAP then meet with a civilian military law attorney.

What to say?

Nothing. Until you have consulted with counsel.

6. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

3

Answered . Without more information it is not possible to give an opinion about this. The best advice would be to set an appointment with an attorney who specializes in military law. Then after a thorough review of all of the facts, they can give you an opinion as to what procedural steps you should take. I would suggest that you begin your search for an attorney on this Avvo website. Good luck!

7. V. Jonas Urba

Pro

3

Answered . Since you called her a "girl" she is probably your subordinate which means you NEED a lawyer. Good luck.

Not legal advice / No lawyer/client relationship.
  8. Samuel Collyns Moore

3

Answered . You need to contact an attorney with military law experience. Whether you work with your base legal office or you contact a civilian attorney, you need to discuss this situation with that attorney through a private consultation prior to making any statements to CID or your command. Talk to an attorney before you take any further action and don't post additional details that can be used against you in a public forum.