What to do if you find a foreign object in frozen food

Asked about 3 years ago - Pleasant Hill, LA

I purchased a bag of frozen peas. The brand was Pictsweet purple hull peas. I cooked them and as I began to eat them, I realized that I had bit down on something. I was very obvious that something was strange because peas are not suppose to be hard. But; it scratched my gums.

Pro

1

Answered . I am glad that you weren't seriously injured. Thus, a lawsuit would not be fruitful.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.
  2. Donald Curtis Kudler

Answered . I am licensed in Nevada, but this answer should apply in Louisiana as well.

First, we hope you were not severely injured by the incident. Make sure to keep the object and the bag of peas so it can be determined what it is you bit into. It could have been a foreign object such as a part of the machinery that the manufacturer uses to prepare and bag the peas. It could be a piece of a stem from the pea plant. Go to the doctor or dentist if you need treatment. This is even more important if you swallowed the hard object.

If this is nothing more than scratched gums and you do not need treatment there is little value in the case (no medical bills or lost wages and some fear of being harmed). Again, hopefully, there are no more severe damages then some scratches. If there are, then you should get all necessary treatment and seek an experienced personal injury lawyer to represent you in the case.

/s Donald Kudler
    http://www.capandkudler.com

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

Answered . Scratched gums do not warrant a lawsuit. If it is something more than that suit may be appropriate. First, if appropriate, seek medical attention. Second, if appropriate, contact an attorney. Save the object. Do not speak with the store, company, or their representatives. If and only if no claim is pursued, speak with the company. Their consumer relations department should try to maintain good will and make some resolution of this unfortunate situation. Good luck.