Skip to main content

What to do if you can't get a birth certificate for immigration from home country ?

New Orleans, LA |

especially if there is a war

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You then ask that your hopefully still valid national passport be used instead of your birth certificate. USCIS will agree.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Explain the situation and present a valid passport

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

  3. Write a certified letter and application requesting your birth certificate. If you do not receive a response, you can submit "secondary" evidence.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. USCIS will allow you to provide secondary evidence in the form of Affidavits from those who have a direct personal knowledge of your birth. You must first provide documentary evidence from the issuing government authority that no record exists.

Birth certificate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics