What to do if you are questioned by the FBI and cannot afford a lawyer ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Arlington, VT

I was just questioned by the FBI regarding and association they feel resulted in "theft" from a former company. I spoke with them, however on several topics I told them I was not comfortable talking without the advice of council. They backed off but the issue is, I cannot afford a lawyer..( because I didn't actually steal anything...lol).

My associates all have lawyers because they can afford to seek council and their lawyers have said " let them come and send them to me". So I feel we are in the right, but I am afraid because it is the FBI....and I don't know what to do. Because the clearly threatened me with being in the camp "going to jail".

How do I protect myself with limited funds and not make myself more of a suspect ( because I want to be helpful if I can)

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You have an absolute right to remain silent and not answer any questions posed to you by the FBI. Even if you are not guilty of whatever it is they are investigating, if you tell a falsehood to the investigating officers, that could result in a separate charge against you for impeding an investigation, obstruction of justice, etc.

    As mentioned by another attorney, you may want to contact the federal public defender's office to see whether or not they can provide you with counsel. In the interim, I suggest you exercise your constitutional right to remain silent.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  2. Joshua Sachs

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Contact the federal defender office in your district and find out whether an attorney can be appointed for you at this stage of proceedings.

  3. Michael Douglas Shafer

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Say nothing until you have spoke to the local federal PD.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,976 answers this week

2,923 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,976 answers this week

2,923 attorneys answering