What to do if the person can't be served due to wrong address in Georgia?

Atlanta, GA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I filed a civil suit in gwinnett county against a company & individuals. One of the defendants was served on 12/28 but the other (who is the registered agent) was not due to a wrong address given. I obtained this address from the Secretary of State for this person. The Sheriff's report back to me was that no such business name, suite or person exists at the place listed so i am searching again for an address. Can I have the summons & suit served to the secretary of state for this person or should I do service by publication? Has the clock started ticking on my case since 1 of the defendants was served? Thank you.

The law requires a company to have a registered agent. If the address on the SOS is invalid there are procedures that you can follow to serve the SOS as the agent for the company. I suggest hiring an attorney so you know that when service is made, its good service and a judgment cannot be thrown out later for lack of jurisdiction due to lack of service of process. I would not rely on service by publication as it may not lead to a money judgment. As to whether the clock is ticking, if you mean for them to answer, the answer is yes, as to whether discovery has started to run, that starts when the last defendant files and answer. However if no other defendants are ever served, it may start when the first answer is filed.

This is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and none is to be implied either. You must contact an attorney and present all facts before you can and should act on this response

2. Either the registerd agent listed with the secretary of state, or publication.

The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: www.atl-law.com Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile, Duluth, Alpharetta, Buckhead The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. Please contact 770-309-9551 for additional questions or to schedule for your free phone consultation. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.