What to do if someone else is using my S.S. number

Asked over 2 years ago - Admire, KS

i don't know who it is but i know where they are working

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Patrick Michael Lewis


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . A person who uses someone else's social security number in Kansas is comitting a felony. You need to report it for fear that his income could be attributed to you and you could get in trouble for not paying taxes on the income. Contact your local police or sheriff. If you are worried about it coming back to cause you problems talk with a local attorney first.

    Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, patricklewislaw@gmail.com. This answer is... more
  2. Clifford Michael Farrell

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Report it to the police. If you are about to be a victim of identity theft, you need to report it right away. Then check your credit reports to make sure someone is not already using you identity. If so, talk to SSA about what you need to do to change your number......but that will be a long road and will require proof you have filed a police report, so start there.

    The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,599 answers this week

3,212 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,599 answers this week

3,212 attorneys answering