Skip to main content

What to do if I have personal injury claim over a car accident?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

Recently was in a car accident that caused injury and have not been able to work for two weeks. I was on my bicycle and was hit by the car. I don't know what to do with this, since I don't have insurance. Do I need to file a personal injury claim, or get a lawyer to do it?


Attorney Answers 8

  1. Your case may be what the lawyers call a "dollar one claim". If the accident was not your fault, and the car's driver has automobile insurance, you may be able to file a claim against the car driver's insurance. You may not want to do this on your own, but obtain a lawyer to do it for you. Take photographs of your injuries, keep all your medical bills, take photos of the accident scene, and keep copies of your medical records, doctors' addresses, phone numbers, etc. If you loss wages because of the accident, keep your pay-stubs and calculate what you lost. If you are married, keep track of all of what your wife has had to do in your place because of your injuries.

    Alejandro R. Lopez, Esq.
    Law Office of Alejandro R. Lopez, P.A.
    4465 Edgewater Dr.,
    Suite A
    Orlando, Fla. 32804
    (407) 649-1404

  2. You should call a local attorney right away. Personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, so you pay a percentage of whatever they collect for you, and pay nothing if they don't. I am handling multiple bike accident cases right now, and there are some nuances to these types of claims. I am in your area if you'd like to call me. 9543412777. Good luck.

  3. You need to have an attorney working on this case immediately. Read part 1 of my recent article below on why you should never try to handle a car accident injury case on your own.

    Daniel M. Berman This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

  4. First, I hope you make a quick recovery. Besides getting good medical care I would Absolutly seek out a qualified personal injury attorney. If you do not own a car you may be able to seek personal injury protection benefits from the driver who hit you or a resident relative. This can assist in off-setting bills and helping with lost wages. In addition you can seek to make a claim for a recovery. If you would like to talk in more detail please feel free to call my office (561) 368-3363, or write. Feel better and best of luck.

  5. In addition to the other advice, if you don't own a car ,then the PIP insurance on the car that hit you should be available to you , regardless whether there is a dispute about fault or not.
    If you do own a car, then your own PIP will apply even though you were not in your car at the time.
    An experienced Personal injury attorney will be able to analyse the situation.There is a video on You tube under my name to give you general information about bike accidents in Fla or go to my Web

  6. It looks like the previous attorneys may have answered some of your questions and judging from the quick response time you can imagine that you probably have a good case. Of course this all depends on whether or not the person who hit you has insurance or additional sources of recovery can be located. As far as filing a claim alone or with an attorney, I would urge you to find an attorney as it will most likely result in an increased recovery by you. An attorney can also help to make sure that you are able to get the proper medical care and help to make sure that those medical bills do not eat up any recovery against the person who hit you.

    My office is here in Fort Lauderdale, I am a member of the Florida Bicycle Association and am on their list of "Bike Friendly Attorneys", I would also be happy to chat with you further about your case. My number is 954-524-2424.

    Best of luck,

  7. You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

  8. It goes without saying, if you are injured, seek medical treatment right away. It may be that since you do not have auto insurance of your own, that you will qualify for Personal Injury Protection coverage from the policy covering the driver that hit you. An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to assist you in navigating the insurance issues. I hope this is helpful and wish you the best of luck.

    Charles Spinner, Jr., Esq.
    Spinner Law Firm, P.A.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics