What to do if i have an arrest warrant for contempt of court for a traffic ticket in the state of new jersey

Perth Amboy, NJ |

I don't have money for either the bail or tickets especially not a lawyer

More information is needed. The warrant likely issued for failure to appear. Call the court and find out for sure. The court usually puts a bail amount on the warrant. You are in a difficult situation because as soon as you appear they will arrest you. An attorney could work this out but you say you cannot afford one and a PD will not be assigned until you go to court and speak to the Judge. Ask the court administrator for ways to proceed. Perth Amboy has been very reasonable in the past but I do not know if you are not an attorney. Call there, they may be able to get you before the Judge and you can explain what happened. It may or may not work. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

that's very helpful thanks......you said you needed more information.....I had a ticket for unregistered vehicle and failure to maintain lamps. I had lost my job due to the economy I had applied for unemployment to keep me a float for a little while, but i got rejected now I have 0 dollars to my name I've been doing small odd jobs for food and living time passed and eventually I received an arrest warrant the bail is set at 254. If I can't afford this how much jail time am I looking at to pay off the debt.

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

Seriously, call the court. Tell them the story. Ask if you can come in on the next court date and talk to the Judge. Explain to the judge you lost your job and moved and didn't get the mail yada yada. You found out about the warrant. Couldn't you do the case that day you meant no disrespect. If he says yes and pulls the warrant, talk to the prosecutor. Tell him the tale of woe and see if he will dismiss the charges or let you plead with suspended fines so you only have to pay $34 on each and maybe he will kick one so you only pay $34. That's about the best unless you are not guilty. But the judge will not give you a PD the charges are too small. Sorry I can't help more. Mark Cheser In a message dated 7/29/2011 11:42:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, avvomail@avvo.com writes: (http://www.avvo.com/?utm_campaign=hp&utm_content=header&utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification) _Find a Lawyer_ (http://www.avvo.com/find-a-lawyer?utm_campaign=fal&utm_content=header&utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification) | _Find a Doctor_ (http://www.avvo.com/find-a-doctor?utm_campaign=fad&utm_content=header&utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification) | _Avvo.com_ (http://www.avvo.com/?utm_campaign=hp&utm_content=header&utm_medium=email&utm_source=notificati on) Greetings, Someone has commented on your answer to question: what to do if i have an arrest warrant for contempt of court for a traffic ticket in the state of new jersey Comment: that's very helpful thanks......you said you needed more information.....I had a ticket for unregistered vehicle and failure to maintain lamps. I had lost my job due to the economy I had applied for unemployment to keep me a float for a little while, but i got rejected now I have 0 dollars to my name I've been doing small odd jobs for food and living time passed and eventually I received an arrest warrant the bail is set at 254. If I can't afford this how much jail time am I looking at to pay off the debt. _View comment thread_ (http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-to-do-if-i-have-an-arrest-warrant-for-contemp-504373.html?post_answer_id=752517&post_id=3 1541&utm_campaign=view&utm_content=comment_notify&utm_medium=email&utm_sourc e=notification#answer_752517) Or, reply to this email to add an additional comment. Thanks for participating on Avvo, The Avvo Team

As usual, Mr. Cheser has provided excellent advice and you would be wise to take it. I do not mean to make the situation sound dire, but be forewarned that the police routinely scan plates and you are at a serious risk of being arrested. I agree that it would be best for you to retain an attorney to work things out with the court. You would be wise to contact one of the attorneys on this board and see if some arrangement can be made so that your warrant can be withdrawn. the court will also work with you to come up with a payment plan for the tickets.

If you are in contempt for failure to make your time payments then you need to contact the court to reinstate your payment plan. If you are in contempt for missing court, then you may want to hire an attorney to see if the arrest warrant can be recalled without the need for bail. Otherwise bail must be posted so that the matter may be restored to its pre-plea posture.

Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.