What to do if I can't afford full reinstatement fee of suspended license before dropped by insurance?

Asked 8 months ago - San Diego, CA

My boyfriend has a suspended license due to unpaid tickets, which I believe to be minor traffic violations. I believe it has been suspended for longer than 6 months and the fees are around $700 dollars for reinstatement. His insurance has threatened to drop him within the next three weeks if his license is not reinstated. He has no way to afford the fee and no family to help but he needs his license for his job. He's put it off for a little bit too long and now he needs it to be taken care of within the next month or so. What can he do to avoid losing his insurance and settling his fees? Is there an alternative way to pay?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Matthew Murillo


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Pay the entire fee. Unfortunately, that's really the only thing he can do if its already in collections.

    Any information provided through Avvo.com in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation... more
  2. Joshua Matthew Dale

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . then they won't give you the license back - you must pay pay pay and that's all they care about.

  3. Robert Lee Marshall

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . He can contact the court and see if they'll give him some sort of payment plan. There are occasionally amnesty periods where the courts waive some of the late fees so people can get their licenses back.

    Unfortunately, there's little you can do about the insurance company's decision to cancel his insurance if his license continues to be suspended. He would just have to obtain insurance again when he's licensed.

    Please understand that this is a general discussion of legal principles by a California lawyer and does not create... more
  4. David Philip Shapiro


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Your boyfriend needs to man up and deal with this. Since he cannot afford to hire a locally experienced criminal defense attorney to assist, he should go to court and request his matter be added onto the court calendar to address the unpaid fees. Perhaps then the court will work with him which will in turn lift the hold on his license.

    Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,267 answers this week

2,759 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary