Skip to main content

What to do if I can't afford a lawyer but I've been charged with first offense petty theft?

Las Vegas, NV |
Filed under: Misdemeanor crime

A local gas station is pressing charges against me for stealing a $3.50-$3.75 cent candy/protein bar. What do I do if I can't afford a lawyer? The gas station knows nothing about me, except what I look like. I originally was going to steal it, but I ended up buying it (but I conceiled it in my pocket then took it out). We found out they're pressing charges cause my mom called questioning them why I was "searched" by their employee (not knowing I was planning on stealing it. Our phone # is blocked, so they don't know anything about me).

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You have some clear defenses here. You will experience the difference between public and private counsel firsthand, either way that you go here. Find a way to afford a lawyer. This kind of case is usually quite affordable.

  2. Not to be snarky, but the answer is, "find a way to hire a lawyer."

    The PD just doesn't have the time to really push these, and private counsel does.

    Get a lawyer anyway.

  3. This a very defensible case that most likely can result in a stay adjudication and a dismissal. You can contact my office to discuss details.

    The information presented here is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The Goodman Law Group, P.C. recommends that you consult an attorney with experience in your specific legal issue. Please contact us to schedule a confidential discussion of your situation. Such communication does not create an attorney-client relationship of any kind until a formal engagement agreement is signed by both you and the Goodman Law Group, P.C.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics