What to do if I can't afford a lawyer but I've been charged with first offense petty theft?

Las Vegas, NV |
Filed under: Misdemeanor crime

A local gas station is pressing charges against me for stealing a $3.50-$3.75 cent candy/protein bar. What do I do if I can't afford a lawyer? The gas station knows nothing about me, except what I look like. I originally was going to steal it, but I ended up buying it (but I conceiled it in my pocket then took it out). We found out they're pressing charges cause my mom called questioning them why I was "searched" by their employee (not knowing I was planning on stealing it. Our phone # is blocked, so they don't know anything about me).

You have some clear defenses here. You will experience the difference between public and private counsel firsthand, either way that you go here. Find a way to afford a lawyer. This kind of case is usually quite affordable.

Is it possible you could give me an estimate on how much a decent lawyer would be from beginning to end? Also, whats public and private counsel mean? Will I have to do any jail time for this, cause I still go to HS and I have one more year to go

Thomas D. Boley

Thomas D. Boley

If you are charged as a juvenile, the story could be quite different. The legal market is quite competitive, and lawyers generally will not publish prices on a public forum. You can certainly come in for a free consultation and I can quote you a price. You have no obligation at that point. Also, a juvenile vs. an adult charge could make a big difference. Public counsel is the public defender. Private counsel is a privately hired attorney.

Alright thanks a lot, it really helps. Well, I just turned 18 and I have special needs (not a disability, but I have severe breathing issues and malnutrition), so I wouldn't know if that has an effect on it or not. But one last question, what do you believe would be the punishment for this? Jail time, house arrest, community service, etc.? If its house arrest or jail time, how long would it be for and what fines (like how much $) would be imposed on my family and I?

Not to be snarky, but the answer is, "find a way to hire a lawyer."

The PD just doesn't have the time to really push these, and private counsel does.

Get a lawyer anyway.

This a very defensible case that most likely can result in a stay adjudication and a dismissal. You can contact my office to discuss details.

The information presented here is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The Goodman Law Group, P.C. recommends that you consult an attorney with experience in your specific legal issue. Please contact us to schedule a confidential discussion of your situation. Such communication does not create an attorney-client relationship of any kind until a formal engagement agreement is signed by both you and the Goodman Law Group, P.C.