What to do if an executor of a will is withholding inheritances from the beneficiaries.

Asked over 2 years ago - Atlantic Highlands, NJ

My mother passed away 1 year ago. My father is the assigned executor of her estate. Before my mother's passing, she expressed her wish that I inherit her jewelry and some other miscellaneous items. I have tried asking my father about whether anything was left to me in her will and if so, why he has yet to honor it. He refuses to answer my questions, allow me to see the will or tell me the lawyer's name who handled her legal affairs-very strange behavior for someone who has nothing to hide. I am prepared to take this to court, but am not even certain if anything was bequeathed to me in my Mom's will. What legal recourse do I have to see the will or ensure that my father is acting appropriately to the position of an executor?

1. Lawrence A Friedman

2

1

Answered . The executor of an NJ estate has a legal obligation to give next of kin such as children a formal written Notice of Probate within 60 days of probate and to give a copy of the will on a next of kin's request. While no penalties are likely to arise for inadvertent failure to comply, an executor who deliberatelyreuses to give a next of kin a copy of the will may be sanctioned or removed as executor (especially if that next of kin is a will beneficiary). Of course, it also is possible that the executor wouldn't be sanctioned or removed. In any case, to protect your rights, you should consult an experienced trusts and estates lawyer. I'd be happy to work with you and am maybe 40 minutes from Atlantic Highlands. An oral wish that jewelry go to a particular job probably need not be honored in settling the estate where the will doesn't support that wish and there is no signed written verification, but it may be possible to enforce it in some circumstances. Finally, 1 year is not an unreasonably long time period to settle an estate especially if an estate or inheritance tax return may be required. On the other hand, your father's refusal to provide a copy of the will or other information re the estate is cause for concern. Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (L.L.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law.

2. John George Ducey

2

Answered . The executor should have given you a copy of the Will. Since he didnt you can file an action to get a copy and to remove him as executor.

John Ducey
    732-458-5600

3. James P. Frederick

1

1

Answered . While I agree with the prior answers, it strikes me as possible, (and from the facts of your summary, LIKELY), that no probate estate has been opened. If that is the case, your father is not the executor, because if there is no estate, there IS no executor. He may have been nominated as executor in the Will. He would only have that position if he has been appointed by the court. If that has not happened, then you cannot do anything to remove him.

It is likely that he should have filed the Will with the court, anyway, whether probate was needed or not. If there were no assets to pass through probate, then it is not uncommon to not file the Will, even if this should be done. If the Will HAS been filed with the court, you can check with the county to see if this has been done.

If all of the assets were jointly held by your parents or listed your father as beneficiary, then probate would not be necessary and the terms of the Will would not apply. Your father should still honor your mother's wishes, if it is clear from her Will that she wants you to have her personal items. It is also possible that her Will leaves everything to him and leaves it to HIM to leave you these things in HIS Will.

Many parents resent financial questions from children in situations like yours. So it may not be that he is hiding anything; just that he does not want to deal with giving away your mother's things.

If you find that no probate estate has been opened, my suggestion would be to drop this matter, for now. Try to maintain as good a relationship with your father as possible. It is possible that he will give you your mother's things, when he is ready.

James Frederick

4. Joseph T Ostrowski

1

Answered . Usually husband and wife make mutual devises to one another and if your parents have a standard will they leave all they own to one another then to the children or who ever. Don't be pushy, your father is grieving and having you clamor about the will, might induce him to change his will. Don't fight with your dad over possessions, he will lose respect for you and you will resent him.

Good luck. You may have to wait to get yours, don't be fixated on possessions, it makes you look bad if you are making a stink about it. If your mother devised it to you, it may pass to upon your fathers passing, but maybe not before.

Get a second informational response.