What to do if 3 police detectives show up at my house and i answered the door? they harassed me saying that "i did it"?

San Diego, CA |

Today 5/2/13 at 8 am, 3 police detectives showed up at my house. i answered the door and they wanted to talk to me. They said " am not arrested yet" but they ask me a few questions saying that if i liked this girl i replied with " no, i dont like her" is it bad?? They also said that it looked like she broke my heart and thats why i did what i did which was destruction of property. they told me i caused $10,000 worth of damages... I respond to a few questions they ask me, but then i said " i dont feel like talking to you right now" They told me whats better for me to talk no or at the station when am under arres? they gave me there business card... can i get arrested?

Just don't say another word to them or any other law enforcement agent without having your attorney present. Also, I've added a "Criminal Defense" tag to your post for additional exposure.

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

am i being arrested for what i said? they also told me that someones been calling them?

I agree with my colleague: say nothing without an attorney present representing you.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Do not talk to the police anymore. If they want to arrest you, they will. Then stay quiet and demand an attorney. They are trying to get information to make an arrest. If it was such a strong case, you would have already been arrested. It is not harrassment if the cops are trying to investigate a case. That's what they do - question people in trying to figure out what happened.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.

Can i face any jail time for this?

Joseph Salvatore Farina

Joseph Salvatore Farina

No. You don't get jail time for exercising your constitutional rights. Keep quiet and if arrested, demand an attorney. Period.

I meant for vandalism?

Joseph Salvatore Farina

Joseph Salvatore Farina

Same answer. How is talking to the cops going to stop them from arresting you for vandalism? It won't and you WILL NOT talk your way out of it. So keep quiet.

Stop talking to the police. Stop talking to and hiring a quality locally experienced criminal defense attorney.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

Whats the penalty. for vandalism $10,000 worth of damage?

Nothing good comes from talking to law enforcement where you may be their focus.

If something goes down, it is key that you hire the best locally experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you that you can afford. You should obtain a free consultation as soon as possible. Good luck.

Law Offices of Mark Deniz
1010 2nd Avenue, Suite 2307, San Diego, California 92101 (858) 751-4384

Whats a good time to call you?

Mark Lawrence Deniz

Mark Lawrence Deniz

Anytime..

Police misconduct topics