What to do if auto insurance companies see me as a high risk driver?

Miami, FL |

Hi, after 20 years of driving in NYC and Miami without an accident, I have had two accidents in 3 years one of them considered my fault, however, I have not hit anyone neither another car, but the big insurance companies consider me a high risk. I have a leased car, and no every company wants to insure me, and the few ones willing to insure me are giving me a very high quote. What are my options here? Can the leasing company take away my car if I do not insure it with the 100,000/300,000 and 50,000 property damage? Please help.

You may be able to find assistance through your state insurance administration. Call them and explain your situation. They may be able to give you the name of one or more of the smaller insurance companies who do business in the state, and you may be able to find more affordable coverage. Depending upon your lease agreement, you may be in breach of the lease agreement if you do not keep it properly insured, and the lessor may have the right to repossess the vehicle.

Please remember, however, that specific questions entail specific facts as to which an experienced lawyer can give you reliable advice. Both my and other lawyers' answers to questions on Avvo are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship; nor should they be considered legal advice. They also are simply responses to the questions that are posed, and do not necessarily address every circumstance in your particular situation. Your best approach may be to contact a lawyer directly through Avvo, and have a consultation at which time you can provide complete details.

Your lease agreement more than likely requires you to maintain an insurance policy on the vehicle. Therefore if you do not have insurance that means that you are in breach of the contract you signed and they have the right to take the car back. Call around to smaller insurance companies to see if they may be willing to offer you a better quote. Otherwise, you are probably stuck with paying a high premium if you want to keep your car.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant