What to do after 10 year ban is over? Anything I can do to prepare for completion?

Asked 11 months ago - Virginia Beach, VA

My husband received 10 year ban in Dec. 2012, in Mexico, 212(a)(9)(b)(I) and 212 (a)(9)(b)(II) and ineligible for waiver. He was punished for the ban because of illegal entry twice to U.S. No criminal record. Our kids, 7 and 9, and I are U.S. citizens. Which visa to apply for? Is there a waiver that I must apply for?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . Yes, he would need a waiver. Hire an immigration attorney. You will be hard pressed to handle that on your own.

2. Kelly Lynn Ryan

1

Answered . Your question seems a bit inconsistent. It sounds like he would be inadmissible under 212(a)(9)(C) because of the illegal reentries. I recommend seeing a lawyer to analyze the case and determine what ground of inadmissibility applies and when he is eligible for a waiver. Depending on the ground of inadmissibility, you may want to start the immigrant visa process now. In some cases, it may make sense to wait to start the process.

Please note that this response for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.