What to do about an active bench warrant for failure to appear due to traffic violation?

Asked about 1 year ago - Louisville, KY

Can this be resolved by taking care of it yourself or do you need legal counsel? My friend completely forgot his court date for a traffic violation (failure to come to a complete stop and not having proof of current insurance) and remembered that same day but after the fact. He found out the judge issued a bench warrant for him and he is attempting to go to court clerk to pay the fines and get it resolved by himself. He has proof of insurance and money to pay but I have a bad feeling that they may arrest him when appears at the clerk to try to handle it himself.

1. Frank Mascagni III

2

1

Answered . Hire a criminal defense attorney to locate the case, redocket it, set aside the bench warrant, appear with proof of insurance ( card and confirmation from insurance company on their letterhead that client was covered on the date of the citation) and resolve the case. www.kacdl.net

2. Adam Domenick Rumschlag

2

1

Answered . Sometimes an attorney can help a person resolve a bench warrant without the person going to jail. Contact a Kentucky traffic or criminal defense attorney.

3. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

2

1

Answered . His best bet would be hire local counsel that is familiar with the judge. He may be able to get the warrant recalled and resovle the case.

4. Michael Adam Haber

Pro

2

1

Answered . Every State (and likely even different jurisdictions within the same State) have different rules and procedures for dealing with these issues.

In Miami, where I primarily practice, we have 2 types of traffic cases, infractions (TI) and criminal traffic (CT). If you miss a TI court date then your license gets suspended, whereas if you miss a CT then a warrant is issued (there is a big difference between a suspended DL and a bench / arrest warrant namely, if you get popped on the first you get a new ticket and if you get picked-up on the second you go to jail).

Again, I don't know anything about KY, but to have a warrant set aside in Miami you only have 2 choices: 1) surrender, be booked and post bond if possible or 2) set the case on the Judge's calendar pursuant to a written motion to set-aside the warrant, appear and beg and grovel (most local Judges will set aside FTA - failure to appear - warrants on CT cases without asking any questions at all, but, as they say, "on any given Sunday".... anything can happen).

I almost never suggest that civilians (non-lawyers) deal with Judges (or prosecutors) without the assistance, guidance and counsel of an experienced criminal defense lawyer. While I have no idea what the rules or procedures are in Louisville, KY I still strongly suggest that you counsel your friend to contact a local Louisville, KY criminal defense lawyer and arrange to have the warrant dealt with immediately.

Either way best of luck!