What to do about a dog attack...

Phoenix, AZ |

Was bitten on the hand and pulled to the ground by a dog who then bit into my shoe in an attempt to drag me. It released me only after I threw dirt at it's face. The owner showed no concern and later offered a sarcastic apology, accused me of lying about the incident, then became threatening towards me before his father intervened to calm him. Do I have any grounds for legal action?

1. You very well may. Contact an attorney for a free consult. Be prepared to answer questions about where you were when the dog attacked you? What kind of injuries you sustained, etc.?

Good luck!

Scott A. Mac Leod is licensed to practice law in Arizona. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

2. Get medical treatment and consult an attorney as soon as possible. You can probably file, the issue with dog bites is the owner having prior notice of the dog's vicious propensities. The dog normally can bite once and get away with it. If there is information to show that the dog had vicious propensities, you will probably be able to recover.

The information provided herein is for informational purposes and should not be construed to establish an attorney client relationship. To establish such a relationship, the prospective client would need to meet with me in person, and have a detailed discussion about all the facts and circumstances surrounding your case.

3. I'm sorry to hear about the attack. I know it was frightening. Arizona does not follow the "one free bite" rule that many states do. Get the medical treatment you need and see a local personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Many of us offer free consultations. Good luck.

4. You may. Consult a dog bite attorney as soon as you can.

5. It depends. The first question you may want to ask is, "Do you have an injury?" If you haven't been injured, you may not have a case. Second, look to whether there is a source of recovery...i.e. is there someone who can pay for the injury or could an insurance company pay. Finally, I will tell you that in AZ, dog owners are strictly liable for injuries caused by their dog biting someone. I would consult a personal injury attorney right away.