What time frame do I have to file a wrongful termination?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Pahrump, NV

I went to another state to be with my mother who had a stroke. Two days after I got there I was called and told I was going to be "relieved" of my duties as I was needed at work and was with my mother instead.

1. Andrew Daniel Myers

Answered . Some of the notice requirements are as short as 60 days. However, it is almost impossible, if not entirely impossible, for an attorney to give you a reading on the issues that confront you by way of a summary posting on an internet site such as this. I know that this is not the answer that you are looking for, but it is my humble opinion that you will need to obtain a consultation with an attorney to further explore the specific circumstances behind your question.

I truly wish you the best.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Depending on your particulars, the timing can range from short dates like two months to 180 days. Seek a lawyer today.

As an at-will employee, you can quit at any time for any reason, you can be fired for any reason, a rotten reason, or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Workplace Discrimination: A Basis for Wrongful Termination Claims"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/workplace-...

If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Religious belief, age, gender, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose a Lawyer for you.”

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/how-to-cho...

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-...

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless. Best of luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.