What time does your SSDI payment go it to your bank account if it is direct deposit

Mount Dora, FL |
Filed under: Social security

I was approved for SSDI and will be receiving my first payment tomorrow, the second Wednesday of the month. What time do the payments normally get credited to your bank account when you have chosen the direct deposit method?

It varies, generally the electronic files are uploaded from SSA to the financial network during the wee hours of the day, but depending on the network and how one's individual bank operates, the funds can show up anytime - from before the bank opens until later in the afternoon. All that presumes there are no glitches in the system. Glitches may delay the payments for hours or days, so I would no spend the money until you know it is in there.

Many banks offer online access to one's accounts, so perhaps you could set that up with your bank and then check from your computer.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

Does the SSA allow you to change the date of the direct deposit? I have spoken to a few people who stated that they have done so, but they were granted their SSDI years before mine, so I am not sure if the rules have changed.

Brian S Wayson

Brian S Wayson

I do not know, generally I think the date of your deposit is set by your SSN. It could nothurt ot ask them if you can change it - I would call 1-800-772-1213 or your local office if you happen to have the local office number.

There is no exact time for deposits. It varies from person to person and bank to bank. Mr. Wayson is correct - talk to your bank - they may be able to help narrow the time frame to expect your check.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Social security topics