What tax documents should a J-2 visa holder who is a resident alien file?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Pasadena, CA

I was a J-1 (research scholar) from 26 Sept 2010 to 24 Sept 2012. My wife was with me in the US during that time on a J-2 visa. This is first year that I am submitting form 1040 as a resident alien for tax purposes. My income is federal tax exempt under the US-UK tax treaty, so 0.00 was withheld or is due. In previous years my wife submitted form 8843. She has no world wide income for 2012, and does not have a SSN or ITIN. When submitting my 1040 with 'married filing jointly' status, it asks for my spouse's SSN. Should I submit form W-7 for her to apply for an ITIN with my tax return? Given the tax treaty exemption, it makes no difference to the amount owed (which will remain 0.00). But we want o keep everything in order.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

23

1

Answered . Not an immigration question.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

15

Answered . Yes you should, you also should contact an CPA

3. Parva Fattahi

14

Answered . A CAP would be in a better position to answer this question, than an immigration attorney.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

13

Answered . I agree with my colleague ... meet with a tax professional ... this is not an immigration question.

5. Todd Matthew Heine

9

Answered . A meeting with a local tax preparer should clear all of this up for you.

6. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

7

Answered . You have posted an identical question. I encouraged you to consult with a tax attorney and have your wife applying for the ITIN regardless of the international tax treatment. Clarifying your tax status is a positive things and show a positive attitude with the tax system. Best