What supporting documents do I need for a fiance visa/K1 visa?

Copperas Cove, TX |

What supporting documents do I need for a fiance visa/K1 visa? I have been dating my boyfriend for two years now. We recently got engaged and I would like to get him to the US so that we can get married. He lives in Jamaica. My family are all here in the states. I am also a US citizen. About how long does it take to process?

1. I'm not being flip when I tell you that you need to:

1. read the I-129F instructions very carefully, or
    2. consult with an experienced immigration lawyer

The process takes 6-12 months.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. The instructions to the form tell you what needs to be submitted.

The Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has stated that immigration laws are "incredibly complex" in nature.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. The current processing time for a qualifying K-1 fiancée is about 8 months. Click below for further information. Best of luck.

Immigration Attorney Jeff Khurgel* Assists Clients in all 50 States -- Call or email for a Consultation -- www.khurgel.com -- Contact information below. Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- 4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550 / Irvine, CA 92612 / Office: (949) 509-6515 / Direct: (949) 535-6331 / Web: www.khurgel.com / Email: info@khurgel.com / *Attorney Khurgel is a former USCIS and Department of State Embassy Officer.

Marriage and prenups topics