What steps should I take?

Asked 10 months ago - Austin, TX

I married a man earlier this year who has recently decided to exit, leaving a trail of infidelities for me to discover in his wake. I paid for our wedding, and I have paid for our rent and bills. Any way I can collect half on these items in our divorce? He has $120K in debt, our wedding totaled ~$25K, and our rent for 6 months is ~$12K. I have receipts/proof of payments, but we don't have a signed lease, just a verbal agreement with our landlord- the rent has always been paid directly from my account. I'm a sole proprietor, and our finances have not been combined.

1. Brian Douglas Walters

Pro

1

1

Answered . I changed the category to Divorce, since I don't see how this has anything to do with Immigration. Anyway, I doubt you can recover the costs of the wedding or rent.

Regarding the $120,000 in debt - I need more info. When was that debt taken out? Whose name is it in?

This information is not legal advice and does not form an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

1

Answered . This appears to be a family law question. Unless there is an immigration related aspect ...

3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

Answered . You need to consult a divorce attorney. You will not get paid back for the wedding and the other funds you gifted him by paying his debts.