What steps should I take?

Austin, TX |
Filed under: Divorce

I married a man earlier this year who has recently decided to exit, leaving a trail of infidelities for me to discover in his wake. I paid for our wedding, and I have paid for our rent and bills. Any way I can collect half on these items in our divorce? He has $120K in debt, our wedding totaled ~$25K, and our rent for 6 months is ~$12K. I have receipts/proof of payments, but we don't have a signed lease, just a verbal agreement with our landlord- the rent has always been paid directly from my account. I'm a sole proprietor, and our finances have not been combined.

This appears to be a family law question. Unless there is an immigration related aspect ...

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

I changed the category to Divorce, since I don't see how this has anything to do with Immigration. Anyway, I doubt you can recover the costs of the wedding or rent.

Regarding the $120,000 in debt - I need more info. When was that debt taken out? Whose name is it in?

This information is not legal advice and does not form an attorney-client relationship.

The debt was taken out for school, acquired about 4 years before we met. Thank you for refiling my question properly.

Brian Douglas Walters

Brian Douglas Walters

You won't be responsible for any debts taken out before the marriage in his name.

You need to consult a divorce attorney. You will not get paid back for the wedding and the other funds you gifted him by paying his debts.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Please clarify what you mean by 'by paying his debts' if you would.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

consult a local divorce attorney