Skip to main content

What steps should be taken i know hire an lawyer im unemployed

San Antonio, TX |

i have a failure to appear in weimer tx for no insuarnce court today in colorado county for driving w/suspended ll and i was not driving i was charged walking out of a store

Attorney Answers 2


If the case you are facing does not carry a possible jail sentence or a possible prison sentence, you will not be entitled to a court appointed lawyer. If prison or jail is possible, then you are entitled to court appointed counsel if you are indigent. Unemployed does not necessarily mean indigent. If you could borrow the money, or take it out of a 401k, or sell property to hire a lawyer, etc., then you are probably not indigent. But, when you go to court, the judge will most likely go over the qualifications if you are facing jail or prison.

Ticket lawyers typically only cost a few hundred dollars as opposed to the thousands a felony lawyer typically costs.

Why not call a few lawyers and see if you can get one to take your case.

If you are going to court without a lawyer, it is certainly proper to politely request more time to get counsel hired.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Did the officer see you drive to the store? Did he wait until seeing you walk back to your car? Are you willing to pay the tickets or do you want to fight them? Those are decisions only you can make. What is it worth to fight these tickets vs. what is it going to cost to get my tickets taken care of and getting back to a legal status to drive. Weigh that out with a clear mind. Just because the officer did not approach you when you were driving, does not necessarily mean he did not see you drive earlier.

Good Luck

Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics