What steps do I take to sue a storage owner that is not following the law regarding late fees and how can I remove my items?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I placed my items in a personal garage, paying a rental fee in March 2011. In September 2011, I moved into the same building as the garage and started paying rent plus storage. In April 2012, I notified the owner that I was unable to pay storage at this time and she agreed on accepting the payments later. As of Dec. 2012, I owed 640 in arrears. I made arrangements to pay $200 per month until paid in full and then remove my items in March 2013. I paid $600 of payments and have the final payment and now the owner is trying to charge me $540 in late payment fees, which is not valid according to the California Self Storage Facility Act. I told her I would pay the legal late fee, and she is now holding my items demanding the exuberant late fee charges & I am set to move out Mar 19th. 2013

1. Malosack Berjis

Answered . I'm going to change the practice area of your post from "Civil Rights" to "Lawsuits / Disputes" for proper exposure. Best of luck to you.