What steps do I take to get my sons fathers parental rights terminated?

Asked 12 months ago - Plant City, FL

I have not heard from my sons father in over a year. He does not communicate with my son what so ever. He was ordered to pay child support of 200.00 a month starting in September of 2011. I received 5 child support checks in this amount for the entire year of 2012 and received nothing in 2011. I just received a check last week in the amount of 10.00. This is the first check I received since July 2012. Again still no communication I have tried calling him, emails, text messages and nothing. I do not know what to do. I originally wanted to claim abandonment since there has been no communication since May of 2012 but now I am unsure if that will work since I just received a check for 10.00. My husband has been in my sons life now since he was almost 2 and he turns 5 in two weeks. My husband wants to adopt him. I really need help to try and get this issue resolved. My sons father lives in Tucson Arizona that is where we are from however we have lived in Florida since Feb 2010. Please help to point me in the right direction. I just want to get this solved once and for all. Thank you and any advice is very appreciated.

1. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

6

Answered . You need to consult with a local attorney that handles adoptions. You are going to need to file a step-parent adoption and at the same time seek to terminate the father's parental rights.

Perhaps you can eventually get the father to consent to the stepparent adoption -- it sounds like he may be inclined to do so if he sees that his obligation to pay child support will terminate. You can even stipulate that any past due child support arrears be waived if he consents to your husband adopting the child.

Bottom line, call an experienced attorney to begin the process.

2. Melanie Lynn Quattrone

Pro

5

Answered . This is a matter that you almost certainly need the assistance of an attorney. It is possible to terminate a parent's rights involuntarily for the purpose of stepparent adoption, but there is a high burden on the party seeking to do so.

3. William Charles Rosenfelt

4

Answered . It is very difficult to terminate someone's parental rights. They have to essentially be a danger to their children in order for you to prevail. Perhaps if you were to have a conversation with the father regarding your concerns, this might bring about some better behavior on the father's behalf?

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

4. John Arthur Smitten

1

Answered . You have to file a petition to terminate his parental rights.