WHAT STEPS DO I TAKE AFTER A SLIP AND FALL IN MY BUILDING RESIDENCE?

Bronx, NY |

THE FLOOR WAS WET DUE TO RAIN THE DAY BEFORE AND THAT MORNING. I HAVE NO INSURACE SO I DIDNT GO STRAIGHT TO THE HOSPITAL I WORK IN A NURSING HOME/REHAB FACILITY WAS EVALUATED BY DOCTOR HERE AND HE SUGGESTED I GO TO THE HOSPITAL BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE A SPRAIN OR HAIRLINE FRACTURE I AM ON MY WAY TO THE HOSPITAL NOW. WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO?

These would have been ideal things to do at the time it took place: 1) take photos of the condition; and 2) report it to the building while you were there. You should still report it to the building and take photos if the water is still there. Contact a personal injury lawyer ASAP.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

You should take photographs of the condition if it still exists. If you cannot, perhaps someone in your household can do it for you.

You should also report the incident to the building management as soon as possible, but make sure not to answer many questions about the incident.

Finally you should contact a local personal injury attorney. There is a small chance that medical coverage may be available from the building's insurance company through a "med-pay" provision in their insurance policy. Also just in case your injuries turn out to be more significant than you initially expected you need to protect your rights. Good luck.

The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general educational purposes only. See an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for competent legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through the within legal question and answer session.

Contact one of us here on avvo

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

Contact one of the NY lawyers as suggested.

Take photos, and contact one of the NY attorneys above to investigate.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

get a lawyer right away, so that he or she may investigate the matter further...

Call my law partner Mark Kosofsky he can help you recover medical bills and for pain and suffering. Toll free 1-877-996-6849.

It’s always very important to have documentation. First, get information for the environment. Get photographs of the area where the fall occurred, if it is still wet, even better. Second, if there are any markings or visible injuries on your person, get photographs. Keep a record of aches, stiffness, or bruising that may arise as a result of the fall.
Contact the superintendent or manager of the building and inform them of your fall and possible injury. Keep a record of your call. Note the time, who you spoke to, what you told them, any comments they made in return.
Get documentation of your hospital visit, any tests or procedures that are performed and the results. You should contact a local attorney.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Have a consultation with an experienced PI attorney. Most offer a free consultation. Hire one that you like.

This communication does not create an attorney/client relationship. My firm is a second generation family firm successfully handling personal injruy and medical malpractice cases for over 35 years. "Let Our Family Help Your Family" www.kileylawfirm.com 516 466-7900

While I agree with the advice that you received and should absolutely contact an attorney after taking photographs, you should not be afraid to call more and discuss the case with more than one. Lots of attorneys will tell you what a great case you have, and not tell you what the law is in advance. You need an attorney who understands the law. You indicate that the "floor was wet due to the rain the day before and that morning.' You want an attorney who can help you prove that the water you fell on was from the night before, because if the ground was wet outside at the time you fell, and/or it was still raining and/or you just came in from the outside, your case becomes more difficult. Feel better.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com