WHAT STEPS DO I TAKE AFTER A SLIP AND FALL IN MY BUILDING RESIDENCE?

Asked over 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

THE FLOOR WAS WET DUE TO RAIN THE DAY BEFORE AND THAT MORNING. I HAVE NO INSURACE SO I DIDNT GO STRAIGHT TO THE HOSPITAL I WORK IN A NURSING HOME/REHAB FACILITY WAS EVALUATED BY DOCTOR HERE AND HE SUGGESTED I GO TO THE HOSPITAL BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE A SPRAIN OR HAIRLINE FRACTURE I AM ON MY WAY TO THE HOSPITAL NOW. WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO?

1. Anthony A. Ferrante

Pro

10

Answered . You should take photographs of the condition if it still exists. If you cannot, perhaps someone in your household can do it for you.

You should also report the incident to the building management as soon as possible, but make sure not to answer many questions about the incident.

Finally you should contact a local personal injury attorney. There is a small chance that medical coverage may be available from the building's insurance company through a "med-pay" provision in their insurance policy. Also just in case your injuries turn out to be more significant than you initially expected you need to protect your rights. Good luck.

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

9

Answered . Contact one of us here on avvo

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

7

Answered . These would have been ideal things to do at the time it took place: 1) take photos of the condition; and 2) report it to the building while you were there. You should still report it to the building and take photos if the water is still there. Contact a personal injury lawyer ASAP.

Pro

8

Answered . Take photos, and contact one of the NY attorneys above to investigate.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  5. Yefim Rubinov

6

Answered . get a lawyer right away, so that he or she may investigate the matter further...

6. Kevin Coluccio

7

Answered . Contact one of the NY lawyers as suggested.

7. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

3

Answered . Call my law partner Mark Kosofsky he can help you recover medical bills and for pain and suffering. Toll free 1-877-996-6849.

8. James D. Kiley

3

Answered . Have a consultation with an experienced PI attorney. Most offer a free consultation. Hire one that you like.

9. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

2

Answered . While I agree with the advice that you received and should absolutely contact an attorney after taking photographs, you should not be afraid to call more and discuss the case with more than one. Lots of attorneys will tell you what a great case you have, and not tell you what the law is in advance. You need an attorney who understands the law. You indicate that the "floor was wet due to the rain the day before and that morning.' You want an attorney who can help you prove that the water you fell on was from the night before, because if the ground was wet outside at the time you fell, and/or it was still raining and/or you just came in from the outside, your case becomes more difficult. Feel better.

10. Michael Shemtoub

3

Answered . It’s always very important to have documentation. First, get information for the environment. Get photographs of the area where the fall occurred, if it is still wet, even better. Second, if there are any markings or visible injuries on your person, get photographs. Keep a record of aches, stiffness, or bruising that may arise as a result of the fall.
    Contact the superintendent or manager of the building and inform them of your fall and possible injury. Keep a record of your call. Note the time, who you spoke to, what you told them, any comments they made in return.
    Get documentation of your hospital visit, any tests or procedures that are performed and the results. You should contact a local attorney.