What Steps do i need to take to see my son who i havent seen in 10 years?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Cleveland, OH

Son is 12, havent seen him in 10 years. I have no idea where he is living or how to contact him or mother. I know it still has to be in Ohio because im paying my child support through there. I want to see him, I want to know what my rights are, if i have any anymore?? I would like to talk to her first before going through courts but how is this possible w/o knowing how to contact her. she always moves and changes # to prevent me from seeing him. I dont have enough money for a big case and an exspensive lawyer. I've been paying child support for 10 years. I live in PA and them in OH somewhere, but the distance would not prevent me from seeing him. do i have rights still? would a judge grant me visitation?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Christopher Joseph Tamms

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . If the reason that you haven't seen him is because the mother has kept him from you, you can likely get some kind of visitation. The process likely will be very slow starting out with supervised visitation and moving on to more frequent and longer visitations without supervision.

    In order to get the process moving you should hire a good family law attorney. Your attorney will draft a petition for visitation with your son and file it with the court. Some steps might need to be taken to track down your ex. However, the child support agency will likely have her address.

    You do have rights to visit your son, but the court is going to want to know why you waited 10 years to exercise them. The fact that you have paid child support will help your case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,322 answers this week

3,008 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,322 answers this week

3,008 attorneys answering