Professional legal advice for $39.

Avvo Advisor
Talk to a lawyer

What steps do I need to take to collect current and arrears (over $50,000) in child support?

My ex-husband skipped out on child support but was found when I had to apply for food stamps. The company he worked for (once found) did not always deduct support from his paycheck. He has been fired and claims to have no income at all now. He is over $50,000 in arrears, increasing $200 weekly. He is in CA and we are in FL. Original documents in FL. CA got involved when he was found. He has not filed anything to decrease his payment and did not file his address with CA. No one is doing anything to collect any of the support. Where do I go to find him and get support payments enforced? He was given a severance package but HR did not take support out of that nor did they send money from his final paycheck. I cannot afford an attorney. What can I do

Saint Petersburg, FL -

Attorney Answers (1)

John Arthur Smitten

John Arthur Smitten

Family Law Attorney - Clearwater, FL

Contact the Florida Department of Revenue they can help you collect support.

Related Topics

Child support arrears

Child support arrears refers to support payments that are past due. There are several available options for collecting (or repaying) unpaid child support.

Featured Legal Guides

Child support enforcement

Child support enforcement is generally handled by the state. Enforcement methods can include withholding income, tax refund offsets, and license suspension.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.