Skip to main content

What steps do I need to take in order to counter sue my former roommate , who has filed a lawsuit against me for unpaid rent?

Brooklyn, NY |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

My former roommate has filed a lawsuit against me in Brooklyn, New York. She is claiming that I did not pay rent and bills before I moved out. We had no written agreement, I already left the apartment. I would like to counter sue for damages done to my property due to bed bugs, while living in the apartment and for emotional distress from the whole ordeal. She served papers at my place of business. How can I counter sue? What steps do I need to take? Does she have a case? She has no proof of payment or non payment. She is suing for $1687, I would like to counter sue for 10k. Please help!

Attorney Answers 1


She may have a case against you for rent and bills before you moved out. There is no need for a written contract. If you want to sue her you should include a counter-claim in your Answer. However, I doubt you have a claim for emoitional distress in the absence of either a physical injury and/or medical treatment.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics