What steps do I need to take in order to counter sue my former roommate , who has filed a lawsuit against me for unpaid rent?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

My former roommate has filed a lawsuit against me in Brooklyn, New York. She is claiming that I did not pay rent and bills before I moved out. We had no written agreement, I already left the apartment. I would like to counter sue for damages done to my property due to bed bugs, while living in the apartment and for emotional distress from the whole ordeal. She served papers at my place of business. How can I counter sue? What steps do I need to take? Does she have a case? She has no proof of payment or non payment. She is suing for $1687, I would like to counter sue for 10k. Please help!

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . She may have a case against you for rent and bills before you moved out. There is no need for a written contract. If you want to sue her you should include a counter-claim in your Answer. However, I doubt you have a claim for emoitional distress in the absence of either a physical injury and/or medical treatment.

One or more answers have been taken down.