Skip to main content

What steps do I need to follow to get my husband his green card? I am a Us Citizen and my husband has lived here for 6 years.

Denver, CO |

Me and my husband have been married for a couple months. My husband has been here for 6 years now he came to do US unlawfully.and on April of last year he got a DUI. He just finished paying, doing his DUI classes and everything has been done and dismissed. I want to start the process to get his green card but am not sure what exactly to do. WHat forms do I need? I also want to apply for the I601 A. Would I qualify for that if I have a child from a previous marriage who cannot leave the coutry and I am her primary caregiver.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Does your husband have any other criminal issues? He came to the U.S. for the first time 6 years ago, is that correct? Any problems at the border? How, exactly, did he enter (I know it was unlawfully, but there are different ways of entering unlawfully)? Has your husband ever lied about his immigration status for any reason, including claiming to be a U.S. citizen? Do you have any criminal record? Were you married before? Was he married before?

  2. Your husband does not qualify for the 601A as he has a DWI. He could apply for the 601 waiver possibly. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney

  3. To start the process, you would first have to file an Immigrant Petition on your spouse's behalf and get that approved. Please consult an experienced immigration lawyer about the process.

    Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. for a free consultation about new Immigration Reform policies. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics