What steps can i take if my employer is deducting insurance premiums out my check and coverage was cancelled for non payment ins

Asked about 3 years ago - Port Saint Lucie, FL

dental ins was terminated in 2009 for non payment of premium but still in 2011 employer continued to take premium out my check, also health ins coverage has been cancelled for non payment of premium when it is deducted from my check

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jeffrey B. Lampert


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . For all intents and purposes, your employer has: 1) committed fraud; 2) committed theft; 3) become your insurance company; 4) in hot water. You might consider a number of steps: making a complaint to the prosecutor's office, bring a law suit, seek civil theft damages, and so forth.

    I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of... more
  2. Barry A. Stein


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . This may be either a very serious problem involving taking of funds inappropriately OR may be an accounting error in taking funds beyond a date when they should have been taken. Either way you need to begin by contacting your employer and finding out what their position is with regard to the situation. Either way you would be entitled to, at least, the return of the premiums wrongfully deducted with interest imputed by law. If you incurred expenses that should have been paid by these insurance coverages, the matter gets more complicated. Your employer may be responsible for the bills incurred up to the amount of insurance coverage that would have applied. You should seek the assistance of an attorney to properly protect your rights.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,073 answers this week

3,151 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,073 answers this week

3,151 attorneys answering