What steps can I take?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kansas City, MO

I have a daughter in college and I pay child support for in MO. There was only a child support order and never a custody order or visitation. I was thinking of filing to have my support payment go directly to my daughter instead of her mother. My daughter stays on campus. Is this a wise step? I have also not received an answer as to how college is being paid for? I have no clue and the question will not be answered what can I do?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. M. Todd Miller

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . The burden actually shifts to your daughter once she begins post secondary education. I encourage you to contact her directly and ask her for that information. If she refuses, you may petition the court to have the payments sent directly to her but I would perform a cost benefit analysis first in that I doubt the cost of the procedings will be worth the result.

    NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-... more
  2. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . See an attorney where you got the divorce and have the attorney read the papers. In some states child support ends at the age of 18 or when the child graduates high school which ever is later.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,575 answers this week

2,974 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,575 answers this week

2,974 attorneys answering