What steps can I take?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kansas City, MO

I have a daughter in college and I pay child support for in MO. There was only a child support order and never a custody order or visitation. I was thinking of filing to have my support payment go directly to my daughter instead of her mother. My daughter stays on campus. Is this a wise step? I have also not received an answer as to how college is being paid for? I have no clue and the question will not be answered what can I do?

1. M. Todd Miller

Answered . The burden actually shifts to your daughter once she begins post secondary education. I encourage you to contact her directly and ask her for that information. If she refuses, you may petition the court to have the payments sent directly to her but I would perform a cost benefit analysis first in that I doubt the cost of the procedings will be worth the result.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

Answered . See an attorney where you got the divorce and have the attorney read the papers. In some states child support ends at the age of 18 or when the child graduates high school which ever is later.