What steps are available for a married w/child deportee now and/or in the proposed immigration reform legislation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Mc Farland, WI

My daughters husband was deported in 2011 after being in the US illegally for 9 yrs. They also have a 5 yr old son. He has some driving citations, no felony's or misdemeanors. I have already paid $10,000 to a lawyer who attempted to get the Immigration judge to stay his removal with no success. I spoke to another lawyer who requested $25,000 to file the waiver and other assorted documents. I am happy to pay however I am wondering what the implications are if Immigration Reform passes the House. Thank You

1. Daniel Warren Thomann

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . As you are clearly aware, the language of any future law is not known, so please bear in mind that the following is very general and could change as the debate moves forward. The Senate-passed bill that is now pending in the House would allow certain people who were removed (deported) from the US for non-criminal reasons to return if they have the requisite family ties, but this is by way of a waiver, and not as a right. It is not clear exactly how the timing of the removal would affect eligibility, but in general it sounds like your son-in-law could meet the criteria for the waiver.

I suggest continuing to explore options that are currently available, while keeping an eye on the progress of reform legislation. Some forms of relief become more difficult to obtain as time passes, and it would be unwise to risk that on the chance of a change in the law. Good luck!

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

Answered . There is not immigration law. Legislation, unfortunately, provides no redress to anyone/ That includes married w/child deportee or anything else for this matter. I am afraid that dealing with an immigration attorney is the only way you have. If you do not like your immigration attorney - seek second opinion. There is no alternative to competent professional legal help.

3. Khaja M. Din

Pro

4

1

Answered . It is impossible to know exactly what the law will look like until it passes and it has not yet passed. There still may be an opportunity to bring him back to the US legally depending on numerous factors. Please take all your documentation ASAP and meet with a qualified immigration attorney for a consultation and ask him if he has ever done a similar case, what the outcome was and if it is possible for you to speak to that client who he has done this for before. Many happy clients will sign waivers for their lawyers giving their lawyers permission to discuss their cases with potential clients. Keep making consultations until you find a lawyer that you are confident in.

Best,

Khaja M. Din, Esq.

Din Law, LLC
    (312) 361-8462
    www.DinLaw.com

Free Initial Consult For All Your Immigration Questions

4. Stephen D. Berman

4

Answered . It depends on what law is passed.

5. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . Too soon to tell. There is no immigration reform yet. We do not know what the final bill will look like and what it will contain once past. Don't do anything for now. Stay tuned.

6. Kyndra L. Mulder

5

Answered . You are asking for speculation without providing necessary facts.
    What can be done for your son-in-law depends on why he was deported.
    The fees you quote are very high which leads me to believe you are either exaggerating them or the case is more complicated then an overstay and a few traffic tickets.

7. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Thomann's excellent advice.