Skip to main content

What steps are available for a married w/child deportee now and/or in the proposed immigration reform legislation?

Mc Farland, WI |

My daughters husband was deported in 2011 after being in the US illegally for 9 yrs. They also have a 5 yr old son. He has some driving citations, no felony's or misdemeanors. I have already paid $10,000 to a lawyer who attempted to get the Immigration judge to stay his removal with no success. I spoke to another lawyer who requested $25,000 to file the waiver and other assorted documents. I am happy to pay however I am wondering what the implications are if Immigration Reform passes the House. Thank You

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


As you are clearly aware, the language of any future law is not known, so please bear in mind that the following is very general and could change as the debate moves forward. The Senate-passed bill that is now pending in the House would allow certain people who were removed (deported) from the US for non-criminal reasons to return if they have the requisite family ties, but this is by way of a waiver, and not as a right. It is not clear exactly how the timing of the removal would affect eligibility, but in general it sounds like your son-in-law could meet the criteria for the waiver.

I suggest continuing to explore options that are currently available, while keeping an eye on the progress of reform legislation. Some forms of relief become more difficult to obtain as time passes, and it would be unwise to risk that on the chance of a change in the law. Good luck! - 312.641.0771 - The information above is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between us. It is intended simply as background material, is current only as of its indicated date, and may not include important details and special rules that could be applicable to your case. You should consult an attorney directly before acting or refraining from action.


There is not immigration law. Legislation, unfortunately, provides no redress to anyone/ That includes married w/child deportee or anything else for this matter. I am afraid that dealing with an immigration attorney is the only way you have. If you do not like your immigration attorney - seek second opinion. There is no alternative to competent professional legal help.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Too soon to tell. There is no immigration reform yet. We do not know what the final bill will look like and what it will contain once past. Don't do anything for now. Stay tuned.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


It depends on what law is passed.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


You are asking for speculation without providing necessary facts.
What can be done for your son-in-law depends on why he was deported.
The fees you quote are very high which leads me to believe you are either exaggerating them or the case is more complicated then an overstay and a few traffic tickets.



No exaggerating on either the amounts paid and/requested. The case is one of an illegal being caught in the US and then being deported. Although for some attorney's that may be complicated. But thanks for the answer!


It is impossible to know exactly what the law will look like until it passes and it has not yet passed. There still may be an opportunity to bring him back to the US legally depending on numerous factors. Please take all your documentation ASAP and meet with a qualified immigration attorney for a consultation and ask him if he has ever done a similar case, what the outcome was and if it is possible for you to speak to that client who he has done this for before. Many happy clients will sign waivers for their lawyers giving their lawyers permission to discuss their cases with potential clients. Keep making consultations until you find a lawyer that you are confident in.


Khaja M. Din, Esq.

Din Law, LLC
(312) 361-8462

Free Initial Consult For All Your Immigration Questions


I agree with Mr. Thomann's excellent advice.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer