What state do I expunge my record?

Orange, CA |

I have a few misdemeanors from several years back that I would like to get expunged. However, these were all in California while I was a resident there. I am now a resident of Michigan and don't know where to start.

1. Expungments have to be made in each court you were sentenced in. An attorney can file these for you.

Andrew Roberts
    (818) 597-0633

2. The petition will need to be filed in California not Michigan. If you have fulfilled all the requirements of your sentence or probation, you can “clear” your misdemeanor public record. California Penal Code section 1203.4 allows someone to withdraw his guilty plea and instead to have a plea of not guilty entered on their record or have a guilty verdict set aside!

When we file your "Petition for Expungement" the courts look to see: 1) If you have fulfilled the conditions of probation for the entire period; 2) were you discharged before the termination period of probation; or 3) an expungement can be granted in any case in which a court, in its discretion and in the interests of justice, determines the expungement relief should be granted.

With multiple offenses, the court may consider how well someone performed while on probation and the conduct of the individual after they completed probation; such as your personal and professional life, subsequent schooling, degrees, employment, family life, counseling and/or programs, community service, status in the community, and why you wish to have your criminal record expunged.

We handle these petitions for our clients and there is no need for you to travel to California. We will be happy to file the Petition for Expungement for you and we can appear in court on your behalf. Please call us for a free consultation. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Don Sowers

Attorney-at-Law

Law Offices of Donald G. Sowers
    7545 Irvine Center Drive, Suite 200
    Irvine, CA 92618-2933

Office: 800-351-5975

Criminal Defense Attorney & DUI Lawyer Disclaimer: The criminal defense, DUI, DMV, drivers license suspension, theft shoplifting, drug crime, domestic violence or other criminal defense information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results portrayed here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ if based on different facts. Please contact us for California criminal defense, DUI DMV drunk driving defense in Los Angeles County and Orange County. This "Answer" on AVVO is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of California.

3. FYI, I like to do these from the most recent to the oldest. That way if you had a violation of probation by picking up a case, the newer case didn't contain a probation violation. A quick consultation, over the phone, would help to provide specifics as those of us that are familiar with Orange County may be able to give more details and more specific advice if we could look your cases for you.

Contributions on AVVO.com in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon as a course of action without having first consulted directly with an attorney, where the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be fully discussed.