What specific law states tenants have to provide duplicate keys to their units to the property owner in Calif?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

If I own property in Los Angeles and have no lease with the tenant, and he does not give me a duplicate key to the property in the event of an emergency etc. is there a /municipal code/law stating he has to?

1. Douglas Whitney Weitzman

Answered . Most written leases provide for this. Since you don't have a written lease, your tenants are on month to month. You can give them a 30 day notice that you are changing lease terms and you want them to sign a new one year lease with you.

If the property is under rent control, I do not think that if they do not comply, that this will give you enough to evict them, but you can try. If they fail to give you a key, you can now point that out in the new lease that provides for that, and you can try to evict them for failure to sign a new month to month lease that now has that provision in it.

If their rent is really low, I doubt that they will try to fight you on this, so try it.