What shows up on a "Criminal Background Check" for employment.

Madison, WI |

I received an underage alcohol citation in Madison, WI and was convicted. I also received a misdemeanor alcohol possession charge in Florida but this charge was dismissed.

1. Arrests and convictions generally show up on a criminal background check.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

2. It depends on how thorough the background check is, as well as the policies and practices of the arresting departments on reporting minor arrests to databases beyond their own. A background check for a position that requires bonding or a security clearance is likely to look deeper than for a part-time position at McDonald's, with a full spectrum in between. You can start by searching your own history with the States in question, to see what shows up. On the other hand, getting caught lying about minor arrests like these if the job application asks about arrests may be just as likely to cost you the job.

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.

3. A good way to determine the answer to this question is to purchase a background check on yourself and see.

Good luck!