What should you get an undergraduate degree major in if you want to be a family lawyer one that will help in law school & on job

Lansing, MI |

please don't say any major i want to major in something that will help in law school & on the job. also a major that most colleges have

1. There is not a specific "pre-law" major. Many chose poli-science. I majored in philosophy. English or something involving a lot of writing could be useful. There is no one "best" major. Family law can involve many different areas of concern; the interests of children to tax law. There is not a particular area I would recommend above another.

More important is to make your college experience a fulfilling one and to follow your passions. The rest will take care of itself. Good luck.

I have been licensed to practice in the State of Oregon since 1990. I am not offering legal advice regarding your question, only general information regarding the law. You are not my client nor am I your attorney unless we sign a retainer agreement.

2. First, I think you should research a little more about the legal job market. Right now the profession is in a depression. In fact several law schools are being sued by recent graduates who claim that the schools' employment statistics were inflated. However, things may improve by time you are ready to enter the field.

As for choosing a major, I recommend against political science (which was my major). It is not particularly useful and it is overly common. I think I might have benefited in my family law practice from an undergraduate degree in social work or psychology. Taxation and accounting would also be useful. All divorces boil down to emotional baggage, money, and sometimes children.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided as general information, which may not be appropriate for the specific facts of your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship has been established based on this limited communication. You are advised to consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction before taking any action or inaction that may affect your legal rights. www.hecklerlawoffice.com

3. There is no specific major for pre-law, if you're dead set on becoming a particular type of attorney, choose a major based on the type of knowledge that will help you in that field, for example if you were looking to be a patent lawyer you might choose engineering.

That said, review the current legal employment market. A tremendous number of recent law school graduates cannot find legal work; the statistics that most law school give are inflated or disingenuous. A number of law school are currently being sued for fraud over this issue (see link below). Make sure that it is what you really want to do. If you're in college right now, try to find a summer position working for an attorney to see what it is like (paid internships are getting rarer, so you may have to volunteer your time).

For a consultation, e-mail adam@fw-pc.com to set up an appointment. This answer is provided based on limited facts and does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor should it be relied on as legal advice. It is only a generalized, cursory examination and is not a substitute for retaining a licensed attorney.

4. I see you are from Lansing. One of the top law schools in the country has a campus in Lansing. You might want to check out www.cooley.edu. Also as to what area for an undergrad it depends on if you want to work for someone or yourself. If yourself, I suggest business. If working for someone else, it is much harder to say.

Contact me for a free consultation. My telephone numbers can be found at: http://www.heisler.org/contact.php You and I do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information

5. A degree in psychology or social work would be helpful. Frequently, family law situations require counseling as a part of the legal process. It would be helpful to not only know and understand the legal issues but to also understand the family dynamics involved in these situations.