What should/shouldn't I say to the police if I am being investigated for a hit and run from a minor fender bender?

Asked 4 months ago - Orlando, FL

I rear ended a car at an intersection, causing light damage to my vehicle and no noticeable damage to the other parties vehicle. The other party indicated the damage was not enough to get police/insurance involved, so after several minutes of waiting at the intersection, I went on my way. I later received a notice from a Highway Patrol officer that I was being investigated for a hit and run. I had no idea the severity of this type of charge, and was advised to seek legal counsel. I don't know what to do. The FHP officer is asking to meet with me today to investigate the case.

1. Christopher Robert Dillingham II

14

Answered . Don't meet the trooper without an attorney. I've handled one case in which the troopers first wanted my client for DUI and leaving the scene with injuries, then it became leaving the scene with property damage (no DUI), and finally, not even a ticket. Had the trooper met with my client on Day One, my client would have faced severe charges.

I was a Florida law enforcement officer for many years, and I specialized in getting people to "just talk to me" so I could put them in jail.

Please call one of us today. Many times, we can short-circuit the State's case before it even begins.

The sooner you call one if us, the better. The cop doesn't want to hear your side of the story: He wants to arrest you.

2. Robert Kenneth Tucker II

6

Answered . Retain an attorney before you agree to anything.

3. Keith G Langer

6

1

Answered . "I had no idea the severity of this type of charge, and was advised to seek legal counsel."

That was good advice. Contact the FL and Orlando bar associations for referrals, and retain counsel. Do NOT meet the police alone.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Lisa Michelle Harris

6

Answered . Both of the attorneys above have given you sound advice. When you speak with an investigator it is because they are searching for additional evidence to make their case...in this case it's to make out their case against you. Counsel can assist you in mitigating this situation far better than you trying to go it alone. Please seek the advice of a local attorney. Best of luck.

5. Mark H Randall

Pro

3

Answered . Big time you need to engage an attorney!

6. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

2

Answered . You have the right to remain silent. You need not meet with the police. Hire a criminal defense attorney to review your situation BEFORE you make any decision.

7. Alberto Marino Quirantes Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . Whoever advised he was correct. You should not appear to meet with the officers without your attorney. Your attorney could speak for you and that will not be an admission against you. Your attorney may be able to keep you from being arrested for leaving the scene of an accident / property damages and fight any tickets resulting from this case in court. Do yourself a favor, don't make any admissions. Your lawyer can reschedule the appointment to a mutually convenient time. Have a lawyer or with you. That's the best advice I can give.

8. David Elbert Little

1

Answered . You should say nothing to them. You should contact an attorney before talking to anyone.

9. Amy Renee Ritchey

1

Answered . You absolutely should NOT speak with the officer. Hire an attorney and let him deal with the officer. He should immediately draw up an Invocation of Rights and provide it to law enforcement so that they know you are represented and that they cannot contact you.

10. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

Answered . The advice to bring a lawyer with you was good advice. Do it.

11. Patrick J Mcdonnell

1

Answered . DO NOT talk to a police officer without counsel. Retain one now! It doesn't sound like a serious matter that can't be cleared up. but anything you say WILL be used against you!