What should my friend do? should he seek a criminal defense attorney?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Garden Grove, CA

this happen over 6 years ago and he was misunderstand stalking someone. a girl i go to school with doesnt like him and think hes a stalker and we use to live close to each other and one of my friend told me that she live really close to me and in a conversation with her and she though he follow her home but he didnt, and this happen over 6 years ago and 2 years ago he sent her a msg on facebook said it was misunderstanding and he also apologize (not a good idea) but she didnt reply and if they saw each other around they just ignore each other... what should he do? he already ignore her. is there a statue of limitation for that? how long is it?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

6

2

Answered . You want a plain statement about a discernible end-point of concern based on the running of the statute of limitations but it is possible that there isn't such a distinct SOL in this circumstance. Statutes of limitations are sometimes extended because of the continuing or on-going nature of the offense. Stalking is the kind of offense for which any SOL is often extended over a longer time by a course of conduct involving multiple acts. So, there isn't going to be any bright-line SOL that anyone here can tell you to rely on.

Now another point you need to open your mind to: you need to stop letting your history with this girl be a factor in your life. Stay away from her in every possible way. No contact whatsoever. That is the only way to be certain that an SOL can finally actually run for your protection. Stop talking and thinking about her; don't ask other people about her; don't have any communication with her. Move on in your thoughts and in your actions. Get a counselor to help you, if necessary.

2. Michael Charles Doland

5

Answered . Stay away totally including online, by phone, in person, and you should have no problems. This is a multiple time that you post.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

6

Answered . If you have not been charged with a crime, its likely you do not need a criminal defense attorney. Leave her alone.