Skip to main content

What should my friend do? should he seek a criminal defense attorney?

Garden Grove, CA |

this happen over 6 years ago and he was misunderstand stalking someone. a girl i go to school with doesnt like him and think hes a stalker and we use to live close to each other and one of my friend told me that she live really close to me and in a conversation with her and she though he follow her home but he didnt, and this happen over 6 years ago and 2 years ago he sent her a msg on facebook said it was misunderstanding and he also apologize (not a good idea) but she didnt reply and if they saw each other around they just ignore each other... what should he do? he already ignore her. is there a statue of limitation for that? how long is it?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Stay away totally including online, by phone, in person, and you should have no problems. This is a multiple time that you post.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

  2. If you have not been charged with a crime, its likely you do not need a criminal defense attorney. Leave her alone.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

  3. You want a plain statement about a discernible end-point of concern based on the running of the statute of limitations but it is possible that there isn't such a distinct SOL in this circumstance. Statutes of limitations are sometimes extended because of the continuing or on-going nature of the offense. Stalking is the kind of offense for which any SOL is often extended over a longer time by a course of conduct involving multiple acts. So, there isn't going to be any bright-line SOL that anyone here can tell you to rely on.

    Now another point you need to open your mind to: you need to stop letting your history with this girl be a factor in your life. Stay away from her in every possible way. No contact whatsoever. That is the only way to be certain that an SOL can finally actually run for your protection. Stop talking and thinking about her; don't ask other people about her; don't have any communication with her. Move on in your thoughts and in your actions. Get a counselor to help you, if necessary.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Juvenile law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics